Sep 20, 2009

This is how I'm learning English



I’m not sure if I’ve already told you here before, but one of my recent goals in studying English is to watch English movies without ANY Japanese subtitles. I’ve tried watching some English movies and news broadcasted in English(like CNN) but it is still a little hard for me to catch everything without any Japanese dubbing or subtitles.
But recently, one of my friends told me about a wonderful movie website called “veoh”, and I found there were lots of full- versions of GHIBRI movies(directed by Hayao Miyazaki,a world-famous Japanese movie director) without any Japanese subtitles dubbed in English on the site. I am a HUGE fan of GHIBRI movies and I’ve watched the movies many times since I was little, so now I memorize most of the Japanese lines. So I think watching the videos dubbed in English would be the best way for me to improve my English “listening” skill.I’m gonna watch more movies with this tool from now on. If you interested in, why don’t you try it too? You might think it's too easy though… But anyway, once you download the free web player, you can watch the full-versions whenever you want:) Of course it's free!I recommend espcially those who love GHIBRI movies – just like me- to try it.
This movie is "Spirited Away(2001)", which won many awards, including an Oscar and an Academy award.My favorite one.


Hope you have a nice week!=)

にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ

9 comments:

non said...

HI, nice to meet you. I'm Nozomi from Okinawa. Please call me non. I really like the way you study English. I wanna try it!! I'm also studying Englsh. Please take a look at my blog when you have time. see ya^^

Yuka.M said...

Hi Non, nice to meet you, too. Thanks for visiting & leaving a comment on my blog!
Oh are you from Okinawa? I've never been there yet but Okinawa is the best place in Japan that I'd like to visit next time!!!
Yes, if you like GHIBRI films you should try it! Just go to the Veoh website and download the player(easy!), then you can enjoy watching the full-version of all Ghibri works in English!Ive been learning various kinds of spoken-English expressions and casual phrases from them=]

I really wanna see your site! Would you link the URL of your site so I can visit there? :)

GeeWhiz said...

Yay! My friends and I used to get together and watch Miyazaki movies together. It's really cool that you're studying english this way. I don't know much about Japanese (I don't know anything, really), but what's the biggest difference between the two languages?

I'm a nursing major. Which means the biology never ends.. Anatomy is an interesting course though!

Air said...

Hi! Pooka0712,
Thank you for your visit my blog today.
Sometime I also use "veoh" and watch some Japanese TV program there. There are some programs subtitled in various languages other than in English, so it must be very useful to learn foreign language, even though I found some wrong translation there...

Yuka.M said...

GeeWhiz:
Oh, do you know Miyazaki movies?!yay Thats cool!

Well I think English and Japanese are quite different to each other in many points. First of all,the sentence structure is completely different(Japanese word order is classified as Subject-Object-Verb).And Japanese is written with a combination of three different types of scripts such as 漢字Chinise charactors, ひらがなHiragana,カタカナKatakana.

I think the biggest difference is that Japanese has many honorifics, parts of speech which show respect, and their use is mandetory in many social situations.We make clear distinction in speech levels, which shifts depending on the level of intimacy and social rank of the person you are talking with. Almost all of my foreign friends who are studying Japanese say this is the most complicated and difficult point for them to understand.It's too difficult for me to explain the system of Japanese language properly haha... :p

I used to love studying biology when I was in high school!I have a friend who is also a nursing major, but she looks quite busy with studying these days. I hope you'll make a good nurse.:)

Yuka.M said...

Hi Air-san, Thanks for your comment! Your blog is very nice. I'll visit again!
wow That sounds great! I've watched only Miyazaki movies so far yet I gotta watch them too!Thanks for letting me know:)

Trish said...

oh i like this movie!

Yuka.M said...

Trish>>

Oh really?Have you ever watched this?I like this one the best in all Miyazaki movies~

Trish said...

yea i have seen this before a lot of times hehehe, i never seen any other movies from the same person though