Sep 14, 2009

The 2nd round of H1N1 epidemic and people-watching




The spread of H1N1 has finally come close to me.
Yesterday was a hard day. My boss was absent from work because she got a flu. I am currently working as a part-time teacher at a cram school near my home.I'm teaching Math,Japanese literature and English to 6-18 year-old students.On Sundays there usually are 3 teachers including me.I have 2 classes I teach,each of them are 80 minutes long. She is the chief at my workplace and is in charge of 3 times as many classes as I am. So yesterday, us two had to make up for them. When I got home late at night I was too exhausted,so I went straight to bed.
Regular schools of some of my students have also been closed due to the H1N1 since a few days ago. Students who come to our cram school are not allowed to come into each classroom without washing and disinfecting their hands, taking their temperatures with clinical thermometers and putting masks on before entering.Of course we do them,too. Here,every measure to prevent the flu from spreading has been taken.


But on the other hand, when I pay attention to people in my city, I think something is apparently different from what they were like last time —the 1st round of the H1N1 epidemic.This time, I don't see anyone who is wearing a mask wherever I go. When the first H1N1 carrier was confirmed in Japan 4ish months ago, there wasn't anyone who wasn't wearing a mask around my town. It was just like a part of our fashion.Wherever I went, they had always been sold out.Sometimes I saw people whose masks were just like helmets. Once when I left my mask at home and got on the train without it I got so embarrassed 'cause everyone on the train started staring at me— like "Whar are you doing not wearing a mask>:(?!". Probably I was seen as a KY(Kuuki Yomenai = a Japanese popular word which literally means a person who can't read the atmosphere) ...Anyway, last time people seemed to almost panicked.


But this time it seems like it's the complete opposite. When I'm wearing a mask I feel people are staring at me. Have they lost any interests in the new flu?Did they begin to regard it as just a needless fear?...despite the fact that more people are still dying?Kinda weird.


にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ

2 comments:

Epoche said...

I’ve been thinking the same thing. This is funny to see the Japanese follow what the mass media says... Anyway we must be careful.

Yuka.M said...

Indeed...We tend to be too influenced by the power of media,either in a good way or a bad way.
The news said that yesterday a 24-year-old guy died due to the H1N1.These are no longer other people's matters.