Jan 13, 2010

TAKOYAKI MAX!




Apparently my parents love spending money on electronics. On weekends they often go shopping to appliance stores and never come back home without purchasing something new.And they decide what to buy surprisingly quickly - When they came back home with a new computer last weekend, I was just surprised because I never even knew that they had been looking for a new one before that. 
This time it was a new hotplate. A much bigger one than the former one. Of course I didn't know at all that they were going to buy it this time, either.When I went to the dining room it was just there. They told me very happily that they purchased it with their membercard's points that they stored when they bought the new PC , which means they didn't pay anything this time for this new hotplate. 


The new hotplate is great - it includes 3 changeable pans, and we can change them depending on what we cook. One of them is for takoyaki(For those who don't know takoyaki - It's a popular Japanese dumpling made of batter, diced or whole baby octopus, tempura scraps (tenkasu), topped with okonomiyaki sauce, mayonnaise, green laver (aonori), and katsuobushi (fish shavings), first popularized in Taisho-era Osaka). I love takoyaki very much because I am from Kansai area. It is said that people from my area all have at least one takoyaki pan in their kitchens.I used to have one but it had only 15 molds.But this new pan has 30 molds -   twice as many as the older one! We really enjoyed making & eating them. I ate over 15 takoyakis, which made me full!Okay I hope the picture below makes you hungry.:p



   
Anyway, if you have a chance to visit Osaka, please just try takoyaki! It's a damn good stuff I think - I bet you'll fall in love with it. And if you like it, don't forget to buy & bring a takoyaki pan back to your country.Takoyaki is the best food that we can be proud of in the world!!

にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ

4 comments:

Thanh Thao said...

Wow, that looks so absolutely tasty!
I like eating takoyaki!
That really makes me want to go back to Japan again (well, I want to at least twice a day :-)

Many greetings

Trish said...

oh my goshhh i loveeeee takoyaki!!!! i actually have frozen takoyaki in my freezer right now coz theres hardly any places that sells them here that i just have to store up in case i cant get them fresh!

if you've noticed i've probably posted a couple of entries about finding the perfect tasting takoyaki here in the U.S. (some i've had are just plain gross!!)

you must share a recipe to make this so i can make it fresh at home lol!!

Brigida Alexandra Marcella said...

Oh gosh... *drooling....*

Seriously, I miss it and I want to eat it now. I'm so hungry seeing the pic. I love Takoyaki a lot!!!!

WHoaaaaaa......

Yuka.M said...

Wow, sorry for not replying to your comments! I've just noticed!!!

Thanh - Well when you come to Japan next and if you visit Osaka, you MUST try it there!!! Osaka has the best takoyaki in Japan!!!! ;)

Trish - Oh you have Takoyaki in your freezer? That's coooool,I've never met Americans who have takoyaki in their freezer haha!
Here's some websites for you that shows how to make Takoyaki!It might be hard for you to get some of these ingredients though;

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/seafoodfish/r/takoyaki.htm

YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHDmVhShE80 - How to Make Takoyaki (Japanese Octopus Dumpling Balls)

Hope this helps!

Bree - Oh, you've tried it before? Glad you liked it!Maybe I should visit you as a goodwill envoy to spread takoyaki not only in your country but around the world lol!